I have trained in various classical and non-classical Martial Arts for over 25 years. Historically I have trained and been certified in various Karate styles, Northern and Southern Kung Fu systems as well various Eskrima styles.
My passion for Martial Arts and personal self-protection allowed me to continue to explore new styles and systems internationally and locally. This yearning for knowledge not only took me to many countries abroad, including China, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, USA, Philippines, UK and others, but also connected me to some top class local combative teachers. I studied various martial systems including, but not limited to, The Approach Self Protection Method, Piper Knife
Combat, Kyusho Aiki Jutsu, Wing Chun, Eskrima, and many others, taught by very prominent instructors.
My life-goal has always been the desire to teach an effective compilation of what I had assimilated over the years to as many people possible, and in 2008 I founded ‘African Shield Combat Systems’ (ASCS) as a vehicle to start this journey. I took early retirement from my job in August 2012 to focus mainly on propagating what I love best, learning new systems and teaching self-protection.
It seemed fitting then to fly to the UK at the end of October 2012 to visit, non other than, Eddie Quinn to train and be certified as an instructor in ‘The Approach Self Protection Method’. The Approach now features prominently in my weekly permanent classes and also in the many seminars that I, and even some of my senior students, have been fortunate to teach (this included ladies groups, Medical Practitioners, corporates, final year high school girls, Rhino Anti-Poaching Rangers etc.) because of it’s simple-effectiveness.
- Instructor in Training. Kyusho Aiki Jutsu International. (S.A. Instructor Andre Dippenaar - May 2012)
- Level One Instructor. The Approach Self Protection Method. (Founder Eddie Quinn - November
- Piper Guardian. Piper Knife Combat. (Founder Nigel February – March 2013)
- Group Leader and South African Representative. De Campo 1-2- 3 Original Eskrima. (International
Instructor Tony Yarwood - September 2013)
- 6 th Dan Streetwise Fighting Systems International. (Founder Japie Cillier - September 2014)
- Piper Master Guardian. Piper Knife Combat (Founder Nigel February - September 2015)
Tel: (+27) 083 638 0801